Our goal at Missouri Midwifery is to provide our expectant mothers with the best holistic care. We know that you want the best care available. One of the ways we ensure the best care for our clients is through our highly trained staff. Every member of our primary provider staff is a Certified Nurse Midwife. Certified Nurse Midwives are midwives with the highest level of midwifery training available. We are thus prepared to provide you with the most experienced and trained support throughout your low-risk pregnancy.
What is a Midwife?
A midwife is a trained professional who provides support and care throughout a low-risk pregnancy. Midwives are used to facilitate childbirth all over the world and take part in practices that span centuries. Midwives also provide similar care to the care provided by an obstetrician. Along with assisting in childbirth, some of the different services midwives can offer are:
- Prenatal exams
- Monitoring of physical and emotional health during pregnancy
- Creation of a birth plan
- Advice on diet and exercise during pregnancy
- Education about pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn care
- Postpartum care
Midwives go through extensive training and receive different certifications, depending on the nature of their training. While a degree in a healthcare field is not required to become a midwife, many do both in order to obtain higher certifications. A few of the different types of midwives are:
- Certified Midwives: A CM has a degree in a health field and completed an accredited midwifery program and passed the certification exam. CMs are certified to practice in Missouri.
- Certified Professional Midwives: A CPM has extensive childbirth training both at a hospital and in a home or birth center. They have also passed a national certification exam.
- Certified Nurse-Midwives: A CNM has a degree in nursing and has completed a graduate nurse-midwifery education program from an accredited institution. Each CNM is required to pass a national exam and can practice anywhere in the United States.
Certified Nurse Midwives at Missouri Midwifery
At Missouri Midwifery, every member of our delivery staff is a Certified Nurse Midwife. Our choice to only hire those who have completed the highest certifications in midwifery is a core element in our goal to provide the best care possible. Many clients are assured to have a midwife who also has training and certification in the medical field. A CNM can also assist in a hospital if there is a difficulty with the birth. The state of Missouri credentials CNMs as Advance Practice Nurses in the same category as Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Anesthetists.
For more information about our Certified Nurse Midwives or any of the other services we offer for expectant mothers, contact us at Missouri Midwifery today.